The quit notice laws are very important, so it is sacrosanct for tenants in Nigeria to familiarise themselves with its provisions.
Tenant versus landlords conflict are always the talk of the day in Nigeria.
Nigerians who are tenants cry out almost on weekly basis about how they are being treated and cheated by their landlords,due to not knowing their rights and so they accept whatever is being offered them.
However a Nigerian legal expert in civil and commercial litigation has tweeted the six major facts about quit notice.
- If your tenancy is on a weekly basis, you are entitled to 7 days.
- Tenancy at will – 7 days
- Monthly tenancy – 1 month
- Quarterly tenancy – 3 months
- Half-yearly tenancy – 3 months
- Yearly tenancy – 6 months’ notice to quit.
Tenants are however encouraged to consider hiring a real estate lawyer to protect their interest especially in cases where they are not sure.